Sunday, June 28, 2015

Pedestal

Pedestal

Only the perfect, deep shadows can etch your face,
Granite
Just as the sun hits the arch of your neck. 
Seen from below, while you tower above, chiselled beneath all the layers of memory.

That my knees battered and bruised;
Take notice how my back did not break:
Falling from your pedestal.

A heart keeps beating long after it shatters.
It scratches, scrapes, shudders with glass crunching aches.
Somewhere it numbs when it withers in shame, yet it won't stop pumping.

That my hands bare, empty, jagged and hollow; 
Take notice how my neck did not break:
Falling from your pedestal.

I'm just like the others; I wasn't quite strong enough.
Left you out cold; I wasn't quite good enough.
I hurt you and questioned; protected myself.
And who do I think I am?...

Look how the flower grows out of the concrete.
Listen as birds still sing in the rain.
Watch as the rainbow comes, see how the dead tree blooms.

Yes, my hands empty and always not strong enough.
Yes, my eyes shielded, protecting my soul.
Yes, my skin wounded and throat sealed in silence;
Yet now that I've fallen from so far, high up.
Now that it's done.
Can you see?

A heart keeps on beating long after it shatters.
It just keeps on loving long after it breaks.
Now that I've fallen, I can't fall much farther;
From your pedestal.

No comments:

Post a Comment