Sunday, July 19, 2015

Picket fence

My heart stopped....
When I saw you.
Torrents of ice and heat sparking through every cell causing my skin to tingle and breath to catch.
All the surprise I didn't expect, and face to face my knees water long enough to notice, not long enough to fall.

Because I brace myself,
A prepared barrier of what I know I shouldn't feel,
Every time.
I lock it down.
I shut it out.
Those things I can't let show, won't let show,
Since I know....

But out of nowhere,
There you were.
Standing right in front of me.
For that second, a stretch of eternity on the ear of a passing ant...
I fell apart.

My yield sign disappeared and I just loved you, without question or reason....
Just a puddle of pure elation to see your beautiful face.

Picking up the pieces.
Place them back where they belong.
A smile, a hug, a "been a while..."
And then you're gone.

I'm pretending not to notice, 
I pretend that it's all good. 
that's the only way for me to do the things I should.
Behind a wall of reason with all logic and all sense....
A shiny yellow yield sign tucked behind my picket fence.



No comments:

Post a Comment