Thursday, March 3, 2016

Rush to Judgement

Judgement.
We know what that is. No one enjoys being judged, yet we all judge others. It's part of the human condition that we understand and recognize.

What is it?
That is the question that begins when we decide to practise non-judgement. The long road of becoming non-judgemental is full of roadblocks. It requires much introspection and reevaluation. 

Judgement takes so many forms and seems different depending on how you look at it.
Some will say that ALL judgement is a self-judgement. Some will say we NEED judgement for discernment purposes. I have even been told that "anyone who claims to be non-judgemental is full of shit."

My most recent understanding on this topic is two-fold.

1. Judgement is a way for us to stay safe.
Why?
It is a great big world with a crap-load of people. If I can find fault in someone, that is one less person I need to love.
Judgement is a justifiable reason to withhold compassion, acceptance and love.
By seeing and comparing faults in another, I am able to see a reason to distance myself from them.
From walking around a "creepy homeless person", to severing ties with someone who has wronged us.
Judgement is our greatest weapon and also our strongest shield.

2. Forgiveness is judgement.

I have been a huge fan and promoter of forgiveness. There is no denying the healing benefits of letting go the hurts we feel someone caused us. 
However, the act or need of forgiveness by default assumes that forgiveness is required.
Forgiveness determines that what "they" did was "wrong".

The need to forgive is a justifiable reason to withhold love.

We are doing so many things to stay safe. We have so many reasons to protect our precious selves.
However, we did not control our birth. We cannot control our death.
We came. We are here. We will go.
All of our judgements will fall away into the sea of wasted energy.
I would like to think my time better used. I would like to say that I was not afraid to experience this human condition.
"What is the nature of love, where love appears to be not?"-Emmanuel

2 comments: