Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Snapshot

I stood stalk still, as still as my pounding heart would allow.
Charges of adrenaline snapping throughout my body and blood rushing past my ears.
You are here? You came?
I stare at you, dumbstruck.
"I know, I look different without my hat." A smile tickles the curve of your lip.
My arms move like underwater. Slow motion. I reach for you in disbelief.
You came. You are here.

I cannot see my face, but your concern reflects, and I suddenly become aware of my shock.
"Are you okay?" You ask.
I can't speak right now, so I allow you to fold me deeply into your arms. I bury my stunned expression into the softness of your neck, where your jaw meets your ear.
"You're here" I whisper.

I can feel your heart thumping against my chest and you hold me tightly. I know now that you are better at hiding than me.
"Did you think I wasn't coming back?" You speak low, to the side of my face and nibble my ear lobe.

This is the moment. I am awestruck. You came back for me because it wasn't enough. I know this.
My knees cannot hold me. Your hand finds the small of my back and I am supported by the length of your body. I fall into you.

All that surrounds us fades to nothing.
All I see is you.
All I breathe is you.
All I am is yours.
Right now.
I can't let go.
Time suspends for us.
I feel your warmth mingling with my own.
You are firm where I am melting.
You are soft where I am meeting you.
Your scent fills to the edges of my whole being and I breathe you in like liquid, nourishing my every need.
"If you have to leave me, take me with you." I say.
You chuckle. The vibration causes the kinetic attraction of our bodies to burrow deeper.
"I'm here now." You lift me closer, wrapping me even closer.
"I know," I kiss your neck, "you came!"

You draw away from me to look at me. Moving your hands to cup my face, you kiss my nose and then my forehead.
"I'd be a crazy person to not."

We are separated now. Nothing but your hands on my face and mine on your chest.
"Say you don't." I ask you. "Say you don't and mean it."
I explore every curve of your face and lock it in memory.
I know you are doing the same.
You say nothing, studying me.
Eyes only looking and seeing each other, you say nothing.

We meet once again, lips first, until I am once again firmly in your arms.
There in our embrace, I know.
"You can't, " I whisper, "you can't say you don't."

There is no goodbye in our unfolding.
There is no picture to hold.
This is my snapshot of a perfect place in time.
All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment